So, after much debating about needle sizes and gauge, I decided to just go ahead and jump in at the deep end. Problem was, I didn’t do my sums correctly because somehow the Back section of the Cardi is a bit narrow.
I rechecked my calculations and discovered that my tension is not 20 st per inch but 18-19 sts. This would not normally be a problem but I ignored my original cast on amount and shaved off 6 sts – making it even narrower – oops!
I am debating whether or not to have feather & fan stitch on the sides of the front panels, or should I put it on the bottom edge. I’m worried that the F&F stitch will flop downwards away from the front panels, and end up looking weird!
I wish I had enough yarn to test out this front section to see if it would work. I bet normal hand-knitting designers have a ton of yarn they can play with – not me, I’m afraid. 4 skeins is all I got – and that’s it!
That’s it! I’ve decided to design my own knitwear. The amount of times I have seen stuff in the shops and thought, “I can make that…surely?!” prompted me to take up knitting.
I started learning in December 2008 and since then I‘ve come to the conclusion that following patterns verbatim is just not my style, because I simply don’t understand them! Most of the time, I want to change this or that somewhere down the line… and after a while, the project ends up becoming something else anyway – so I figured that this what it is to be a designer.
My First (-ish) Design Project
This first project is based on a design that was influenced by the Yarn: Three Irish Girls Wexford (60% Silk/40% Merino) in Evangeline and Acadia (club colourways). It is luxuriously soft and has a sheen on it that would suit a kimono, however the 40% merino lets you know that it is still wool, which has lots of tuft and bounce.
It is a worsted weight (aran) yarn that would normally be used with 5mm needles. I’ve recently discovered that I knit too loosely and so far I have designed and knitted 2 cardigans that are just that little too big for me.
Through Ravelry, I have learned that by using needles 2-3 sizes smaller than a written pattern would suggest, I just might get the right gauge.
Based on the yardage amount that I’ve got, my challenge is to design something that will work with the yarn, as well as fit me!