Welcome To My Creative Palace

It all started when Hubby hinted that maybe I have “too much yarn” and that my knitting business is “taking over the house” (notice that he hinted it rather than tell it directly. He’s not stupid – I’m sure he can imagine how painful a knitting needle in the ribs must be!).

In truth, I really needed a space to work – a place that was separate from home life, a place to go to when I’m in ‘Knitty Mode’ and a place that I can leave behind when I just want to be myself. Balancing home/work life in the same space is problematic.

He had the brainwave of talking me into moving out when an office space had become available nearby. However, this office space needed some imagination…

See the sloping ceilings, the magnolia walls, the brown features and the lack of natural light….? Ugh! What you don’t get a sense of in these pictures is the size of the place. It’s quite small, about 16m2 split into 2 ‘rooms’ as such. Normally, that would be an adequate space for up to 3 people if all the floor space was accessible, but the slope in certain areas cut out that accessibility. The ceiling height in some parts can be dangerous to those over 5ft 10″ (you know how it goes: ha ha BONK!). Despite this, I felt like I could make this work.

I love a challenge and my challenge was to bring light to a dark room, plus make it into a creative palace!

One way to boost the lighting in a gloomy space is to install numerous spotlights with daylight bulbs in. The other way is to paint everything white – that’s what I did, much cheaper. The sloping ceiling was going to be a problem for my yarn cupboards, as they would not fit in.

I searched online and found a very useful metal-framed, plastic 16-cube modular unit. It’s lightweight, sturdy and easy to assemble. Click here: 16-cube unit. It’s a great little storage unit for keeping yarn. It’s surprisingly strong too, not that yarn is heavy, but they do rack up some weight when there is a large amount of it.

CRW_8491

The ceiling height was an issue again, so this meant that I could only set up the modular unit 4-cubes wide by 3-cubes high. With the remaining pieces I managed to build a 3-up standalone unit, but I was 2 connectors short. This wasn’t a problem, I contacted the vendor and asked them for it and they shipped it to me.

After a week of painting the walls, window frames and assembling stuff, the studio is now ready and looks marvellous! Bright and airy, with all the comforts a knitter would need. ☺️

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements